- [Alexander 1977]
- Alexander C. (1977). "A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction". Oxford University Press, ISBN: 0195019199
- [Alexander 1979]
- Alexander C. (1979), "The Timeless Way of Building". Oxford University Press, ISBN: 0195024028
- [Appelt 1999]
- Appelt, W. (1999). "WWW Based Collaboration with the BSCW System", in Proceedings of SOFSEM'99, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1725, p.66-78; November 26 - December 4, Milovy (Czech Republic)
- Basic Support for Co-operative Work (BSCW) enables collaboration over the Web. BSCW is a 'shared workspace' system which supports document uploads, event notification, group management and much more. To access a workspace you only need a standard Web browser. http://bscw.gmd.de/
- [Bentley Horstmann Trevor 1997]
- Bentley, R., Horstmann, T., Trevor, J. (1997). "The World Wide Web as enabling technology for CSCW: The case of BSCW", in Computer-Supported Cooperative Work: Special issue on CSCW and the Web, Vol. 6, Kluwer Academic Press.
- [Berners-Lee 1989]
- Berners-Lee, T. (March 1989), "Information Management: A Proposal"
See [Berners-Lee WtW] and http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html - W3 Status: "Provided for historical interest only"
- [Berners-Lee 1990]
- Berners-Lee, T. (1990). "Intended uses for hypertext at CERN"
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Uses.html - W3 Status: W3 Archive
Examples of the original intended uses for the Web:
Centralised publishing (online help/documentation/tutorials/etc)
- FAQs http://www.faqs.org/
- [Berners-Lee 1991]
- Berners-Lee, T. (1991-1992). "W3 Concepts"
See http://www.w3.org/Talks/General/Concepts.html - W3 Status: "This talk is an old one from 1991 and 1992, out of date, though interesting for historical reasons"
- [Berners-Lee WtW]
- Berners-Lee, T. (1999). "Weaving the Web", HarperSanFrancisco. ISBN: 0-06-251586-1 / 006251587X (Latest Edition)
- [Booch 1986]
- Booch, G. (February 1986). "Object-Oriented Development", IEEE Trans. Software Engineering, pages 211-221
- [Bush 1945]
- Bush, V; science adviser to President Roosevelt. (July 1945). "As we may think", (The Atlantic Monthly; July 1945; Volume 176, No 1; pages 101-108)
- [Cailliau 1995]
- Cailliau, R. (November 1995). "A Short History of the Web", Text of a speech delivered at the launching of the European branch of the W3 Consortium in Paris.
- [Comerford 1999]
- Comerford, R. (May 1999), "The path to Open-Source systems", IEEE Spectrum, pages 25-31
- Concurrent Versions System http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/
- WikiWiki. (Cunningham creator/maintainer), http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki
Quote from their front page: "(It is) ... a fun way of communicating asynchronously across the network", or as a set of web pages that are open and free for anyone to edit as they wish. Wiki is not real-time; therefore people have time to think before they follow up a web page, often days or weeks, so they have time to consider what they write.
- [Dominus 1998]
- Dominus, M. (January 1998). "Perl: Not just for Web programming", IEEE Software, pages 69-74
- [Fogel 2000]
- Fogel K. (2000). Open Source Development with CVS. Coriolis Inc. ISBN: 1576104907 / 1932111816 (Latest Edition) http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/
- [Fowler 1999]
- Fowler, M. (1999). Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code. Addison-Wesley Pub Co. ISBN: 0201485672
- [Hecker 1999]
- Hecker, F. (January 1999). "Setting up shop: The business of Open-Source software", IEEE Software, pages 45-51
- Gosling, J & McGilton, H (May 1996). The Java Language Environment: A White Paper
- [Merriam Webster]
- (1999). Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Tenth Edition. Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. ISBN: 0877798095
- [Nelson 1981]
- Nelson, T. (1981). Literary Machines. ISBN: 089347052X
- [Netcraft 2000]
- Netcraft web server survey in September 2000 http://www.netcraft.com/survey/ (current 30th November 2000). There were 21,166,912 web hosts when Netcraft conducted this survey in September 2000
- [NetValue 2000]
- NetValue http://www.netvalue.com/ has set up a market research system in Europe and in the United-States
- [Pressman 1992]
- Pressman, R (1992). Software Engineering, a practitioner's approach. (Third edition). McGraw-Hill. ISBN: 0-07-112779-8 / 0072496681 (Latest Edition)
- Project Revision Control System http://prcs.sourceforge.net/
- [RFC.... / STD ....]
- Request for comment and Internet Standards
RFCs and STDs are officially available from either the IETF or http://www.rfc-editor.org/, which also lists other repositories.
HTTP [RFC 2616]
Telnet [RFC854-855 / STD8]
FTP [RFC959 / STD9]
Email - SMTP [RFC821 / STD10]
- POP3 [RFC1939 / STD53]
Usenet (NNTP) [RFC977/RFC1036]
- Revision Control System http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/RCS.html
- Comp Risks. (Neumann, P moderator). http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/, news: comp.risks
- [Santayana 1905]
- Santayana, G (1863-1952). US philosopher, author, educator, poet. "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." Life of Reason, "Reason in Common Sense" ch. 12 (1905-6). See "The Life of Reason (Great Books in Philosophy)" ISBN: 1573922102
- "Servlets are server side Java programs that extend a web server in a similar fashion to CGI scripts",
- SourceSafe http://www.microsoft.com/
- [Whittaker 2000]
- Whittaker, J. (January 2000). "What is software testing? And why is it so hard?", IEEE Software, pages 70-79
- [W3 1995]
- World Wide Web Consortium. "A Little History of the World Wide Web". http://www.w3.org/History.html - W3 Status: For Archival/Historical Interest